Friday, January 25, 2008

About work and a tribute

Discussion
Work, life and living means many things to us all, and in many ways the interaction or intersection of these elements has had a profound impact on our history, current life and the life we will have in the future. So this discussion is huge and what immediately jumps out is the relationship to identity, how we are defined by this process and not just how we define it.
At risk of hampering the rising arc of your creative thought I will offer a few of my own thoughts and interpretations of work, life and living and hopefully stimulate some challenging questions.
Work has been defined as movement and direction, and can be said to be activity aimed at the production of goods and services.
But for this investigation it is the questions of meaning and purpose, of getting to the value of work, that are vital. Central to this thought, is whether the essential purpose of work (labor or creative capacity) has been well served, in other words, have we been the ultimate benefactors of our work? If not, why and what personal and collective responsibilities therein accrue? Who benefited from the work our ancestors and may continue to do so even now?

As to life and living, I'll wait for the next posting as the above thoughts marinate, but think about this, if our work is not serving our lives and those of our beloved ,then who are we living our precious lives for?

I would like to refer you to the lyrics of the veteran reggae group Culture, and their piece titled "Too Long"

Tribute.....
This blog is dedicated to you who toil and create for a system that does not adequately reward your devotion and cannot really appreciate your worth, here we honor you. But this tribute is also a celebration of those of you who have found the courage, beautiful valor and in the tradition of our ancestors, dare to strike out, work for and create that sacred space where we can fulfill our historic duty and live our lives with integrity in honor, I say medase.
There are many beautiful souls who have nurtured and inspired me on this sacred journey even as they struggled with seemingly, relentless forces of oppression, their stories are integral to this investigation of work life an living and their wisdom indispensable in this work of healing, restoration, of renaissance and the birthing of a new day, a beloved community where our work, our creativity and our worth will truly be unbound. I will share more about these sacred encounters as I am permitted, it has been been and continues to be a distinct pleasure and great honor to serve, be served by, and serve with these beloved comrades, this being my most essential job and I have been paid very well.
In relation to this blog spot, this space of being and becoming, tribute, I must thank my guide, my teacher, healer, guru and more,you know the kind of friend who believes in you even when you don't or forget to believe in yourself. Ever supportive and encouraging as you continue to soar.......from the bottom of my heart, I thank you sistah goddess for yesterday, today and many tomorrows

1 comment:

Camara Meri Rajabari said...

Lyndon,
I am excited that you have taken on the exploration of work and living. It has been a life long struggle for me...I have seen many in my family work to the bone and never realize their true purpose or even think that one could weave work with life's purpose. Perhaps it is the journey of a people that have a past in forced labor - although I think the issue touches many cultures.
Peace,
Sistah C